80% of the developers install XAMPP which ease them to operate best development environment. Because Apache, PHP and MySQL creates an headache sometimes when installed separately. XAMPP boost capability to develop applications locally then deploy to server. Laravel users need PHP7 for working environment you need to upgrade your xampp. Learn how to update XAMPP to the latest version.
Update xampp to PHP 7 is a bit tricky work but a step by step guide to upgrade XAMPP to latest version. We also talk about the backup xampp server so no data or database would lost.
Update XAMPP to Latest Version:
Remember before uninstalling xampp, you need to make a backup of necessary files and MySQL database backup. In case of emergency you can retrieve them back.
- Open your xampp > navigate to htdocs.
Copy necessary foldersbecause we going to delete whole xampp folder.
- Open localhost/phpmyadmin in your browser.
- Click on
Export tabat top.
- Choose on “Custom – display all possible options” under “Export Method”
- Hold the Ctrl key and select your database for backup.
- Check the boxes saying
Add CREATE DATABASE / USE statement
Add Create Table statement
Add Create View statement
As mention above you need to backup MySQL and htdocs folder read above for procedure.
- Go to control panel and right click XAMPP version, also delete XAMPP folder if ask.
- Download the latest xampp version and install new version (update xampp with PHP 7 ).
Restoring old Data to XAMPP:
- Copy again the folders back to htdocs you were copied.
- Go back to localhost/phpmyadmin > go to “Import” tab.
- Choose the file which were downloaded before click on “Go” button.
Enjoy XAMPP with PHP 7 and enjoy the unlimited development options.